How do I get a summons when I file a new case?
On December 3, 2007, the Clerk's Office implemented a new procedure for the electronic issuing of summons in civil cases through the Electronic Case Files (ECF) system. A general summons for each case which includes the case caption, court seal and electronic signature will be sent to the plaintiffs/attorneys to be completed for service. Plaintiffs/attorneys no longer will need to prepare and submit a summons form with the complaint when a case is filed electronically. The summons form will be attached to the summons issued docket entry and a link to the form will be included in the notice of electronic filing (NEF). Prior to service of the summons, the required information (the name and address of each defendant and the attorney/party to be served with the answer) must be added to the summons form for each defendant. This information can be added to the portable document format (PDF) using the typewriter tool in Adobe Acrobat. For those plaintiffs/attorneys who do not receive notices of electronic filing, a summons form will be mailed to them.
* Is CM/ECF mandatory?
* I open the document, but all I see is a blank screen. What's wrong?
* How do I file documents filed as part of the mediation process?
* Local Rule requires a Certificate of Service, but how do I know who I have to serve by paper?
* What is CM/ECF?
* What should we do when an attorney leaves the firm?
* I need a summons. What do I do?
* How do I pay my filing fee?
* Do I need to use a client code when logging into PACER or ECF?
* I tried to file a document but it says "format not recognized". What am I doing wrong?
* How do I know what entry to use?
* May I file a notice of appearance for another attorney?
* I am having problems logging in with the information that was provided to me. Every time I type in the password, the system tells me that it is incorrect or that I can cancel or continue. Can you please check my account and let me know why I keep getting an error when I use it.
* What documents can not be filed electronically?
* What happens when I am on vacation and I don't have access to e-mail?
* How do I file my executed summons?
* I recently upgraded my Adobe application. When I try to view PDF documents in CM/ECF, I see a blank screen. How can I fix this?
* Where is the Notice of Removal entry?
* I filed an Immigration or Naturalization petition, but can not see the case through PACER. Why?
* I'm unable to print a pdf document, it only asks me to name it. Why?
* I have a box full of exhibits. Must they all be filed electronically?
* Is there a size limitation for Adobe PDF documents in CM/ECF?
* What if I make a mistake when filing a document?
* How do I sign and file an affidavit?
* I filed an answer that included two other attorneys from my firm, but their names do not appear on the docket. Why?
* I filed an appearance in a case, but have since the left the firm. What do I need to do to stop receiving notices?
* What if my document is too large, or is bound in some way that I can't scan it?
* I am admitted pro hac vice? May I register to use CM/ECF?
* I registered for ECF and have begun to receive e-mails with the Notice of Electronic Filing but I have not received a login and password yet. What do I do?
* How do I file a new civil case?
* The law firm I work for is merging with another firm. How do I update my contact information?
* I registered for ECF but I have not received a login and password. How can I check on this?
* I filed a document that requires a fee, but failed to make the payment. What do I do?
* How do I register for Electronic Case Filing (ECF) in the District of Massachusetts?
* I am filing a civil case with many parties. Do I add them all?
* Can you change my or my associate's email address for me?
* How do I sign my documents?
United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts