What should we do when an attorney leaves the firm?
When an attorney leaves a firm, both the attorney and the firm need to consider the implications to the CM/ECF noticing system. If cases will move with the attorney, all the attorney needs to do is to change his/her e-mail notification set up and submit a change of address to the Clerk's Office. If cases will remain with the firm, the firm will need to ensure that the Court docket accurately reflects the proper attorney of record and that the new attorney of record is properly set up to receive e-mail notification.
Law firms may also wish to consider the best method of handling e-mail addressed to the firm for the departed attorney. Summarily removing the attorney from the firm's e-mail system with no further action may result in notifications being missed.
Firms may wish to consider whether their own e-mail systems should forward such e-mails to the attorney at his/her new address, or to another attorney within the firm.
* I registered for ECF and have begun to receive e-mails with the Notice of Electronic Filing but I have not received a login and password yet. What do I do?
* Where is the Notice of Removal entry?
* I'm having problems with my internet provider and I have not received my electronic notices. What should I do?
* How do I file a new civil case?
* I filed a document that requires a fee, but failed to make the payment. What do I do?
* I registered for ECF but I have not received a login and password. How can I check on this?
* I filed an answer that included two other attorneys from my firm, but their names do not appear on the docket. Why?
* May I file a notice of appearance for another attorney?
* How do I sign and file an affidavit?
* Do I need to use a client code when logging into PACER or ECF?
* I received a notice of electronic filing in a case I'm involved in but there was no link or text after the line: "Copy the URL address on the line below into the location bar of your Web browser to view the document: or Document Number:"
* How do I sign my documents?
* What happens when I am on vacation and I don't have access to e-mail?
* Local Rule requires a Certificate of Service, but how do I know who I have to serve by paper?
* May I add a client's email address to my account?
* I filed an appearance in a case, but have since the left the firm. What do I need to do to stop receiving notices?
* I have filed a notice of appearance but I'm not receiving notices. How do I fix this?
* How do I file documents filed as part of the mediation process?
* How do I know what entry to use?
* Is CM/ECF mandatory?
* I've registered for and received a CM/ECF login account, but I still get a login screen when I try to search for case information. Why?
* What documents can not be filed electronically?
* I am filing a civil case with many parties. Do I add them all?
* I am admitted pro hac vice? May I register to use CM/ECF?
* I am having problems logging in with the information that was provided to me. Every time I type in the password, the system tells me that it is incorrect or that I can cancel or continue. Can you please check my account and let me know why I keep getting an error when I use it.
* I receive e-mails from the Court, but I just can't read the body of the message. What's wrong?
* How do I pay my filing fee?
* Can you change my or my associate's email address for me?
* How do I get a summons when I file a new case?
* I filed an Immigration or Naturalization petition, but can not see the case through PACER. Why?
* I need a summons. What do I do?
* In training we were told you get one free look at the document when you receive a Notice of Electronic Filing. How does it work, since we still have to login to PACER?
* I have a box full of exhibits. Must they all be filed electronically?
* When I copy the URL address from the Notice of Electronic Filing (NEF) receipt into a browser (as instructed), it brings me to a PACER login screen. Why?
* The law firm I work for is merging with another firm. How do I update my contact information?
* I added additional email addresses to my noticing list however, now I am not getting any notices. Why?
* I'm not receiving notices in cases in which I am involved. I've registered for ECF and have a login and password. What's wrong?
* How do I register for Electronic Case Filing (ECF) in the District of Massachusetts?
* How do I file my executed summons?
* What if I make a mistake when filing a document?
* What is CM/ECF?
United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts