What should we do when an attorney leaves the firm?
When an attorney leaves a firm, both the attorney and the firm need to consider the implications to the CM/ECF noticing system. If cases will move with the attorney, all the attorney needs to do is to change his/her e-mail notification set up and submit a change of address to the Clerk's Office. If cases will remain with the firm, the firm will need to ensure that the Court docket accurately reflects the proper attorney of record and that the new attorney of record is properly set up to receive e-mail notification.
Law firms may also wish to consider the best method of handling e-mail addressed to the firm for the departed attorney. Summarily removing the attorney from the firm's e-mail system with no further action may result in notifications being missed.
Firms may wish to consider whether their own e-mail systems should forward such e-mails to the attorney at his/her new address, or to another attorney within the firm.
* What happens when I am on vacation and I don't have access to e-mail?
* Do I need to use a client code when logging into PACER or ECF?
* I have a box full of exhibits. Must they all be filed electronically?
* How do I sign my documents?
* Local Rule requires a Certificate of Service, but how do I know who I have to serve by paper?
* I receive e-mails from the Court, but I just can't read the body of the message. What's wrong?
* How do I know what entry to use?
* I filed an answer that included two other attorneys from my firm, but their names do not appear on the docket. Why?
* May I file a notice of appearance for another attorney?
* How do I pay my filing fee?
* I am having problems logging in with the information that was provided to me. Every time I type in the password, the system tells me that it is incorrect or that I can cancel or continue. Can you please check my account and let me know why I keep getting an error when I use it.
* What is CM/ECF?
* How do I sign and file an affidavit?
* I am filing a civil case with many parties. Do I add them all?
* How do I get a summons when I file a new case?
* What if I make a mistake when filing a document?
* I need a summons. What do I do?
* Is CM/ECF mandatory?
* I'm having problems with my internet provider and I have not received my electronic notices. What should I do?
* Where is the Notice of Removal entry?
* The law firm I work for is merging with another firm. How do I update my contact information?
* I registered for ECF but I have not received a login and password. How can I check on this?
* Can you change my or my associate's email address for me?
* What documents can not be filed electronically?
* I received a notice of electronic filing in a case I'm involved in but there was no link or text after the line: "Copy the URL address on the line below into the location bar of your Web browser to view the document: or Document Number:"
* How do I file my executed summons?
* In training we were told you get one free look at the document when you receive a Notice of Electronic Filing. How does it work, since we still have to login to PACER?
* I filed a document that requires a fee, but failed to make the payment. What do I do?
* May I add a client's email address to my account?
* How do I register for Electronic Case Filing (ECF) in the District of Massachusetts?
* I added additional email addresses to my noticing list however, now I am not getting any notices. Why?
* I registered for ECF and have begun to receive e-mails with the Notice of Electronic Filing but I have not received a login and password yet. What do I do?
* How do I file documents filed as part of the mediation process?
* I am admitted pro hac vice? May I register to use CM/ECF?
* I filed an appearance in a case, but have since the left the firm. What do I need to do to stop receiving notices?
* I've registered for and received a CM/ECF login account, but I still get a login screen when I try to search for case information. Why?
* I filed an Immigration or Naturalization petition, but can not see the case through PACER. Why?
* When I copy the URL address from the Notice of Electronic Filing (NEF) receipt into a browser (as instructed), it brings me to a PACER login screen. Why?
* I have filed a notice of appearance but I'm not receiving notices. How do I fix this?
* How do I file a new civil case?
* I'm not receiving notices in cases in which I am involved. I've registered for ECF and have a login and password. What's wrong?
United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts